Ensuring the right device for you is what we do.
When it comes to your hearing, it is crucial to get the right product.
Every patient is different and with that there are certain products which will best suit their needs.
What hearing aids are right for you? Our audiologists have researched and fitted devices from every leading manufacturer to come up with recommendations based on size, benefits, your hearing profile, user lifestyle, and budget considerations.
The good news is that we have now done the important research for you! You can trust in this advice too. Australian Audiology have chosen to be independent providers and we do not represent one brand, but have a suite of the most innovative and industry leading solutions.
This ensures work for you, not a manufacturer.
Firstly, we have defined major categories based on client needs and preferences. While hearing aids often fit into a number of these categories, we have assumed that the category is the most important feature or need valued by a particular client. The categories are:
- Easy listening: primax is clinically proven to lead the world in minimising listening effort.
- Invisible hearing aids: Where you really don’t want people to see your hearing aids.
- Power hearing aids: Profound hearing losses that need more boost.
- CROS hearing aids: People with a dead ear can now hear clearly from both sides.
- Wireless hearing aids: Connect to mobile phones, MP3 players, TVs and more with exceptional clarity.
- Economy hearing aids: Best devices for the budget conscious.
Easiest hearing aids to use
Signia primax hearing aids reduce listening effort!
By improving sound quality and audibility, and by tailoring settings to the wearer’s individual preference, primax is clinically proven* to lead the world in minimising listening effort.
Listening effort is reduced by making speech understanding easier. In primax hearing aids, this is achieved by selectively activating and steering three key technologies in parallel: Noise reduction, directionality and by steering amplification to target and elevate the dominant speaker over all other sounds in any environment. The manufacturer, Signia, calls this SpeechMaster.
Available in four discreet models and three technology levels, Signia primax hearing aids additionally offer the following features:
- HD Music: With its High Definition Music program, primax offers wearers three settings for a fuller, richer sound experience. These settings are “Live Music”, “Recorded Music” and “Musician”.
- EchoShield: The primax EchoShield program softens the sounds of voices and noise bouncing off walls. By reducing the reverberation, the direct speech is highlighted, further reducing listening effort.
- easyTek: Connects all Bluetooth-enabled phones to primax hearing aids. This turns them into headsets that offer wireless hands-free operation.
- Remote controllable: Free touchControl App available for iPhone and Android smart phones.
- IP67 Water and dust protection.
Invisible Hearing Aids
Starkey SoundLens – the most discreet solution
Thanks to the ongoing work of circuitry miniaturisation, a new class of invisible hearing aids has arrived that can be described as truly invisible. Much smaller than previous “in the ear” models of hearing aids, “invisible-in-the-canal” (IIC) hearing devices sit beyond the first bend of the ear canal, which has a number of benefits:
They work with the natural way the ear captures sound
Being closer to the eardrum reduces the “echo-like” sound quality of other in-the-ear hearing aid models
Wearers can use headphones and telephones without a problem, and don’t need to be concerned about how they wear their hair or whether they wear eyeglasses
Although there are no switches or buttons to control hearing aid settings, they adapt automatically as listening environments change. It is important to mention that these solutions are not suitable for severe hearing losses and particularly narrow ear canals.
Features & Benefits
SoundLens come with Starkey’s innovative features, including the industry’s most proven feedback canceller, and a noise reduction and speech preservation system that’s designed to help you hear clearly and easily, even in noisy environments like restaurants.
- Voice iQ,™2 which tackles the issue of hearing speech in noise
- Uses technology that replicates high-frequency speech cues into lower frequencies, where they’re easier to hear
- More enhanced and natural sound quality
- With T2 remote, you can adjust memory or volume using any touch-tone phone
- PureWave Feedback Eliminator3 is still the industry benchmark for performance
- Smartphone apps (Apple & Android*) can control the volume of the hearing aid. iSeries devices only. Android smartphones also require optional ReSound Unite- Phone Clip.
- Automatic Telephone Solutions (ATS) makes having conversations on the telephone much more pleasant for those with invisible hearing aids. This technology automatically detects the user’s telephone use, and adjusts the hearing aid to the optimal settings for telephone listening.
From the experts…
While a number of manufacturers offer IIC hearing aids, Starkey ensures greater quality control by having all IIC hearing aids being made in one central location in the United States. This facility is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment that ensures that your hearing aids are manufactured as small as possible to fit extremely close to your eardrum, increasing invisibly and also reducing any “echo” like sound.
Starkey were the first to develop an invisible-in-the-canal hearing aid, and while the other manufacturers have been playing catch-up, they company has continued to improve the SoundLens hearing device. Therefore, this remains the clear leader in this category.
CROS Hearing Devices
CROS stands for “Contralateral Routing of Offside Signals”. These Phonak hearing aids are used to help clients with much greater hearing losses in one ear than the other – even people with a “dead ear”.
The two hearing aids are wirelessly connected and sound is transferred from the side with more hearing loss to the better ear. In this way, the wearer can hear clearly from both sides, without having to turn or tilt their head to a sound.
Best of Class
Features & Benefits
When your better ear hears normally – CROS.
A small transmitter, placed behind or inside the ear that cannot benefit from a hearing aid, picks up sound and transfers it wirelessly to a receiver on your normal hearing ear. This will allow you to hear effortlessly even when sounds come from the side where you have no hearing.
When you have a hearing loss in your better ear – BIOCROS
The small transmitter placed behind or inside the ear that cannot benefit from a hearing aid picks up sound and transfers it wirelessly to your ear fitted with a Phonak hearing aid. At the same time this hearing aid amplifies sounds coming directly to this ear. Your hearing and understanding experience will improve and your communication capabilities will be better than ever.
Power hearing aid (profound loss)
The majority of our clients are looking for a hearing aid that offers the best overall performance for their lifestyle and budget – one that offers a natural and rich sound quality and comfort and clarity in noisy environments.
Best of Class
Product Name and Manufacturer: Phonak Naida V
Model: Behind the Ear
Technology Levels: Four technology levels available
Features & Benefits
- Speech in Wind: When wearing hearing aids, wind noise interferes with speech understanding and listening comfort. The Speech in Wind feature helps you to understand speech well, even when the wind is blowing.
- Auto StereoZoom: When noise reaches a level that makes understanding one person in a crowd difficult, auto StereoZoom is automatically activated, allowing you to focus on the voice you want to hear.
- SoundRecover: Makes high-pitched sounds, that are difficult to hear, audible again, e.g. birds singing, crickets chirping, children’s voices and the ring of a doorbell.
- DuoPhone: Allows better understanding on the phone as signal is heard in both ears.
- autoZoomControl: When you cannot easily face the speaker, e.g. in a car, autoZoom Control can focus in on either side and backwards for effortless understanding.
- Water and dust resistant.
- Severe to profound hearing loss.
- Battery: 675
Economy hearing aids
Hearing aids are highly sophisticated devices. Unfortunately, the price of the advanced hearing devices can be beyond the means of many people.
Entry-level or economy hearing aids will still able to greatly improve the lives of wearers. Here we provide our best choice for people with tighter budgets.
Best of Class
Product Name and Manufacturer: Siemens Orion 2
Model: Behind the Ear
Features & Benefits
Well connected, superbly convenient.
Smart, discreet, and powerful: Orion™ 2 RIC hearing aids are strong partners that let you savor every moment of sound. Small enough to hide behind your ear, these hearing aids provide exactly the amplification you need while offering a high level of comfort in every aspect. Their housing design ensures a perfect fit, while their practical features provide you with a great hearing experience that suits your personal listening needs and sound preferences.
More than that, the Orion 2 family offers models with wireless and remote control options. Via the easyTek™ audio streamer, you can stream calls from your mobile phone or TV directly into your instruments to understand every word clearly. And the touchControl App™ lets you discover how easy it is to change your hearing programs or volume with your smartphone. No matter how quickly the hearing situation changes, you can easily focus on what’s really important.
Orion 2 offers:
- Ergonomic, discreet design for a comfortable fit.
- Convenient controls that make it easy to use.
- Automatic adaptive directional microphone that help improve speech understanding in noisy listening situations by focusing on the person talking to you from in the front while reducing sounds from other directions.
- Hearing instrument settings that are individually adjustable according to the listening situation.
- Improved spatial hearing because the left and right hearing instruments work together.
- Excellent feedback cancellation to prevent bothersome whistling noises.
- A tinnitus masker that can relieve the symptoms of tinnitus and improve your hearing at the same time.
- Built-in Telecoil.
- Wireless connectivity for audio streaming via the easyTek*.
- A remote control option for simple and discreet manual adjustments via the touchControl™ App on your smartphone.
So to ensure you get the best result for your hearing aid, we suggest you either book a free hearing test today or schedule a consult with our expert team at our clinic on Tweed Heads, Runway Bay and Victoria Point.